Re: [Gnucap-devel] Netnames in Gnucap

From: Al Davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] Netnames in Gnucap
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:25:57 -0400

On Saturday 30 October 2004 09:40 am, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> One of the problems I've had with Gnucap in the past is that
> almost all my netlists cause it to barf.  A major reason is
> that I have lots of named nets in my designs, whereas it
> looks to me like Gnucap only tolerates numbered nets (a la
> old-time SPICE).

If you do ".option namednodes" it will take named nodes.

The code is incomplete and not everything works so it is
undocumented and off by default.  It has been this way for over
2 years.  At that time, I had to tend to another crisis,
leading to a 2 year period when almost nothing was done.

The reason it is undocumented and off by default is that some
things don't work in nasty ways, and I will probably remove the
option and make it named nodes always.  The option is there as
a development aid, so the old still works while the new is
being developed.

> *  Is this true, or does Gnucap handle alpha-numerically
> named nets and it's my head which is wedged?

Actually, my head is wedged, but that's another problem.

> *  If Gnucap only accepts numbered nets, how easy would it be
> to change this?

I started working on it.  Now I know what the first priority
should be now that I have some time.

> *  What is the variable/structure which holds the
> netname/number?  (I haven't looked closely at the code yet. .
> . . .)

_nodes.

> *  Can you think of any "gotchas" which might bite if I tried
> changing the netname variable to accept alpha-numeric
> strings?

To just change the type would cause a big hit in efficiency.  It
really does need to remain int internally.  The current scheme
is not as efficient as it should be.  The way to handle it is
to map name to number on readin, and number to name on
printout.  The functions are there.  It is just a matter of
using it where it needs to be used.  It's actually almost done.