Re: [gNewSense-users] Stepping down

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Stepping down
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 11:53:55 -0500

Trisquel did that and I'd really like an alternative.   Between 2016 and 2018,
Trisquel went from being a relatively clean Ubuntu to flaming wreck for me.
The change from upstart to systemd wrecked my systems more than anything else
did.  Another performance and security hits came from Linux Access that could
not be easily removed, but that was there all along.  Apparmour was yet
another performance and stability hit.  All of these systems ran no matter
what desktop I used, so performance became universally bad.  The distro went
from something I could run on old EEEPC to something that gummed up my X200.

gNewSense was like a breath of fresh air after that.

I moved back to Debian Stretch for a while to see if I could not tame it.  I
was able to remove Linux Access and do a few other things but the effort is
tiresome.  It's difficult to compile kernels on it and other fundamental
things are painful.

gNewSense with Guix is something I'm looking at again.  I'll miss the KDE 4
version of Konqueror but I think I'll gains system stability.