Re: [gNewSense-users] Stepping down

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Stepping down
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 21:48:40 +0200

On 25/07/19 00:40, Will Hill wrote:
> I'm not sure about Devuan's commitment to software freedom.  The last time I
> looked, the default install seemed to include non free software and Mono,
> both of which were backward steps from Debian.  I'm not entirely happy with
> the direction Debian is moving either which is why I'm here.

They're at least committed in spirit [1], but it's weird that they have
a non-free section in their package repo (that contains binary-only
packages, not just FDL docs) and that they keep blobs in their VCS [2].
I suspect that gNewSense (if it continues) basing on Devuan is more
likely that Devuan built on gNewSense.

My take on gNewSense was to follow Debian except where non-free software
is concerned. So even though I'm not a big fan of systemd myself, I had
no plans to do anything about that in gNewSense. If I had continued,
then I might have made you (almost) as unhappy. :)

> The folks at exe GNU/Linux might be better, starting with the GNU in their
> name and inclusion of TDE desktop.  I attempted to contact David Hare on his,
> oh my, Sourceforge project page.  I was unable find other contact information
> in the time I spent looking.  Hopefully, he will be in touch with good news
> and you two will have much to talk about.

Cool. I'm curious about what he has to say.

[1] https://devuan.org/os/free-software
[2] https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/raspi-firmware