Re: [gNewSense-users] Question about Free GNU/Linux distributions

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Question about Free GNU/Linux distributions
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:42:48 -0500

Welcome to the free software world.

The main advantage of running a completely free operating system is that the
community can inspect every part to remove malicious features.  That is not
possible with non free software included other distributions, such as Adobe
Acrobat.

There are many other advantages to freedom which should be obvious but are not
because most people have been taught that restrictions are normal.  Not
having to throw your computer away because the new OS runs slow, not having
to buy expensive ink, being able to use your camera long after the maker has
abandoned it, and so on and so forth.  Richard Stallman compared non free
software to wearing handcuffs and observed some of the advantages of not
being restricted that way,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/practical.html