[gNewSense-users] An Update.

From: Will Hill
Subject: [gNewSense-users] An Update.
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:31:18 -0600

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me out here.  I've done a number of
installs and I'm enjoying GNewSense on my media computer and the laptop I use
for work.  In some ways, GNewSense is working better than Debian did.

The first machine I installed was a HP Mini that I'm using as a media PC.

http://50.81.205.197/photo_album/chron/2016/2016_10_29-new_media_pc/

GNewSense is great, but the firmware is malicious.  I'm able to play movies
and music on it with VLC and Amarok.  The firmware turns the laptop off on
low activity, such as when I'm playing music, no matter what settings I make
for power management etc.  I've found several workarounds for this.

The most important machine I've installed on is the laptop I use for work.

http://50.81.205.197/photo_album/chron/2017/2017_01_09-gnewsense_at_work/

This is a Taurinus X200, one of the few newer computers that does not have
malicious firmware, ;-}.  It has run without fault since I installed it and
I've been having fun exploring the slightly different software choices and
finding a few things that might have been in Debian all along.  One wonderful
thing I found was Gscan2pdf.

http://50.81.205.197/photo_album/chron/2017/2017_01_14-gscan2pdf/

GNewSense has also been good on some olderlaptops that Trisquel has trouble
with, especially Nvidia and other nasty chipsets.  This will be an option for
me in my LikeGNU project.

http://50.81.205.197/photo_album/chron/desktop/like_gnu.html

It would be nice to have GNU IceCat.  Can anyone show me how to get it?  I
tried doing a compile following instructions for Debian, but used a newer
version of IceCat and ran into problems.