Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense desktop

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense desktop
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 21:50:42 +0530

> On 7/29/16, alsnews <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Fellow gnewers,

> ...SNIP ....
>  My wife then went to AMD's site to get
> the latest driver for or Redeon video card. It seemed to add a few more
> items to our menus list, but we still couldn't load the gnome desktop
> after rebooting. Is it because the AMD driver perhaps came with some
> proprietary software? If so, do any of you know a fix for this? Or a
> work around? I would appreciate any help.

Avid Proprietary drivers. They will cause more issues than they can
solve. I have experience of it, not to mention you will very good
experience in frustration and wastage of precious time if you are
inclined on using them. I have been using GNU/Linux exclusively for a
decade now and your best bet is either Open-Source/Free  drivers or no
drivers at all.

> If there is no fix, I was
> thinking of trying out Trisquel. Would it make any difference? I know I
> could get a distro like Ubuntu or Debian, and it would probably would
> work fine.

Except GNU endorsed distros, most will use proprietary drivers if no
drivers exist for your graphics card. Drivzers may or may not exist
for your card but to know that we need to see the output of "lspci |
grep VGA" which I asked few days ago. that will be the first step in
solving your problem

--
http://uttre.wordpress.com/
https://lispmachine.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/c-new-operator/