[gNewSense-users] gnewsense...gnome desktop will not load

From: alsnews
Subject: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense...gnome desktop will not load
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:46:17 -0700

Hello Fellow gnewers,
I am a gnewbie to any linux systems. All I have used is windows (BOO!). I agree. I hate all the spyware, and have been reading FSF's site, along with some Richard Stallman and Libre Planet videos. So, I decided to try out gnewsense, which made gsense to me. Anyway, I have an old (5 or 6 yrs) computer running widows 8.1 with an AMD 5700 video card, with 1TB of memory. My wife has more computer knowledge than I. So I got her to download gnewsense off of the FSF site. We wanted it installed on the hard drive, so we would have a dual boot system. She allotted (partitioned) 50% of the hard drive for gnewsense. Gnewsense downloaded alright, but it wouldn't load the gnome desktop, which I really needed to figure out how everthing worked. There was an error message that said gnome desktop didn't load because of a hardware or graphics problems. My wife then went to AMD's site to get the latest driver for or Redeon video card. It seemed to add a few more items to our menus list, but we still couldn't load the gnome desktop after rebooting. Is it because the AMD driver perhaps came with some proprietary software? If so, do any of you know a fix for this? Or a work around? I would appreciate any help. If there is no fix, I was thinking of trying out Trisquel. Would it make any difference? I know I could get a distro like Ubuntu or Debian, and it would probably would work fine. But I would prefer to get a GNU/Linux distro. One that's not part proprietary software.
Thanks for Your Time,
Have a gGood Day.