Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:19:32 +0100

Op Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:53:17 +0100
schreef Patrick Frank <address@hidden>:

> Hello,
> when I saw the talk of Richard Stallman at the Chaos Communication
> Congress yesterday I felt inspired to try to change my habits as user
> of the GNU/Linux operating system towards a more free approach in
> computing. The first thing that I have observed is that the community
> on IRC and mailing lists is very much silent.

My IRC activity has been quite low due to lack of time. I do try to
answer questions that come up on the mailing lists. Some people contact
me directly instead of using the mailing lists. That doesn't help to
build the community much, but I respect their choice.

> Another aspect that started to worry me is the aging of packages. As
> user I am not only restricted to free packages only which cuts out
> quite a few useful tools but they are based on a Debian release from
> May 2013 and the current alpha version will be based on that branch
> too when I am not mistaken.
> Is the project still vital at all?

The 2 main factors causing the lag are lack of time and support for
mipsel (Lemote Yeeloong). Newer versions of packages would be nice, but
I want to finish the Wheezy based release so as to not throw away the
work so far and to provide an upgrade path from Parkes.

> Where do gnewsense users meet these days to be social?

That should be the gnewsense-users mailing list and #gnewsense.

> What are the main release goals for gnewsense 4.0?

To have a free stable secure OS supporting x86 and mipsel.