[gNewSense-users] Disk Control

From: Keith Ball
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Disk Control
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 18:45:15 +0100

So far, no reply to my query about shellshock.  Am I looking in the
wrong place?

Another issue alarmed me today. I use a dual boot set up as described in
the guide I read when installing gNewSense. I thought the way things are
supposed to be is that I can control Windows Partitions from gNewSense
but not my Linux partitions from within Windows. In fact at first, even
with Windows Administrator priveleges I was getting reassuring messages
that I did not possess the right to make changes using Windows Disk
Management.

  I was working through some A+ course material and while putting theory
into practice I found that it seems I could, from Windows, apparently
delete the swapfile partition used by gNewSense. (I didn't want to risk
trying to see if I could delete any of the other Linux partitions.)  I
re-booted straight-away to look at things from within gNewSense (set up
as advised via GRUB as my default OS). I still got the usual message
about the swapfile being activated but using the Disk Utility I found
the swapfile partition named as free space.

Is it just the name that has changed and everything is working fine
otherwise? Perhaps I have I misunderstood something fundamental about
the way dual boot systems work?

Can anyone help please?

Keith