Re: [gNewSense-users] Clickable links in Evolution

From: josh
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Clickable links in Evolution
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 21:21:04 +1030

Thanks Keith. Incoming links are OK (I am using Firefox because the bundled version of Iceweasel just can't handle much of the stuff I get).
My problem is that the URLs in outgoing emails are not clickable - although I understand that IPADs are clever enough to realise what they are anyway.)
I had this problem with the version of evolution that came with my previous version of gnewsense and the only comments I could get from the evolution forum were that I should use a later version of evolution. I have one - v3,10 -  but I fear problems if I attempt to install it.
The links don't even work BEFORE I send them, even if I insert them with 'Insert Link' rather than just leaving them in something that I'm forwarding.
here's one:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140304T15&p1=179&p2=5

That's a valid URL, put in with 'Insert Link' but it ignores me clicking on it and I assume it will ignore you too, unless your email client is as clever as an IPAD.

I'll simply paste it in here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140304T15&p1=179&p2=5

and that won't work either.

I think that my contacts are entitled to expect something better - and I hate GNU/Linux looking tacky compared with their crappy microsoft systems.

Josh.

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 19:38 +0000, kpb wrote:
On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 16:23 +1030, josh wrote:
> Sorry to raise this again. The last time I asked about it the general
> consensus was that my version of Evolution was too old.
> I had hoped that when I updated gnewsense that I would get a version of
> evolution that worked. But no. Links placed in my emails are still not
> clickable. Is there any reason not to install the latest stable version
> - 3.10 ? (Of course, I don't know that clickable links will work in that
> either. Nobody else seems to have complained that they don't work in
> version 2.30.3
>
> Josh.

Hello Josh and all

I'm running gNewSense 3 installed from the version 3.1 installer with
Evolution version 2.30.3. Clicking on a link in an email message in
Evolution shows the Web page in the Epiphany Web browser. I recollect
that links worked fine in my original install from the version 3.0
installer.

What do you have set as your preferred Web browser? To check try
clicking on the applications menu, then System | Preferences | Preferred
Applications. Mine is set to 'Debian Sensible Browser' and Evolution is
the default mail reader.

Cheers
--
Keith Burnett