Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSence 3.0 info, a few questions, thanks in adv

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSence 3.0 info, a few questions, thanks in advance Brian!
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 20:31:05 +0100

> On 9 Jan 2014 10:52, "guido mezzalana" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I am using a dongle or mobile broadband USB stick with Telecom
> > Italia as provider.
> >
> > Is in the gNewSense 3.0 usb medem switch? Because I have no chance
> > to use ethernet so I need the distro is completed in terms of
> > synaptic package, in particular is able to recognise my mobile
> > broadband.

I heard that Sakis3g works pretty well to get mobile broadband working.
It's not included in our repository, but if you download it [1] and put
in on a USB drive before installing gNewSense, then you can copy and
install it (doubleclick on the deb file) afterwards. Then it's just a
matter of running sakis3g from a terminal [2].

I have no experience with this tool myself. I don't know if it works
with all modems and operators.

> > aqbout codecs, video in particular, do you suggest anything in
> > particular as a complete format software package for avi, mp3/4,
> > xvid etc?

What do you want to do: play, convert from one format to another,
edit, ...? VLC is great for the first 2, although some formats are not
completely supported because of (software) patent issues.

[1]
http://christophe.jarry.ouvaton.org/gnu-linux/gnewsense/parkes/sakis3g_0.2.0e-3_all.deb
[2] http://linuxconfig.org/mobile-broadband-connection-and-sakis3g