Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 20:57:45 +0100

Op Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:31:50 +1030
schreef josh <address@hidden>:

> On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 21:25 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
>
> > Op Sat, 28 Dec 2013 13:10:52 +1030
> > schreef josh <address@hidden>:
> No. It asks for the password for root and once it's got it if I later
> ask, for example, for a root terminal I get :

You're right. I must have changed it on my system [1] because I also
find it annoying. When it asks for the root password it provides the
option to remember it for either the whole time you're logged in or
forever.

I'd like to change it so that it by default asks for the user's
password instead root's, but from relevant bug reports ([2], [3], [4])
I gather that it could break some configurations if it's not done
carefully.

> Thanks. Unfortunately:
>
> address@hidden:/# /usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan1 -i
> bash: /usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan1: No such file or
> directory

Sorry, for brscan2 that should be:

/usr/local/Brother/sane/setupSaneScan2 -i

> address@hidden:/usr# cd local/Brother
>
> address@hidden:/usr/local/Brother# ls
> Printer

If brscan2 is installed correctly then you should have a sane directory
there.

> Thank you for that small mercy. Maybe you should get a user of the
> immediately previous version to operate each new release and point
> out which everyday useful features have disappeared without trace.
> Having to grope around and guess where to find the things that were
> provided at your fingertips by the old version is a really senseless
> waste of time. I don't mean things that you set up yourself - just
> the defaults that came with the system.

I released 2 alpha versions [5][6] and 2 beta versions [7][8] before
the final release. I would have liked very much for more users to test
and compare them with the previous release.

> Yes, and it says that you can drop them onto the bottom of the main
> dialog box but I can find no way to make them stick to it.

As far as I know, GIMP in gNewSense 3 has no single window mode.

> Good point. I'm happy to have anyone read what I say, especially when
> they take the trouble to correct my errors.

Thanks.

[1] Install gconf-editor, start it (Applications -> System Tools ->
Configuration Editor) and set /apps/gksu/sudo-mode to true
[5]
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2012-06/msg00002.html
[6]
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2012-09/msg00000.html