Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view

From: Quiliro Ordóñez Baca
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:52:04 -0500

Thank you for posting, Josh. Your experience is very valuable and
needed. Please consider various values about gNewSense:
- Functionality is nice but it is not gNewSense's main concern. Freedom is.
- gNewSense is a distro based on Debian 6 and supports i386, i64 and
MipSel processors http://gnewsense.org/ReleaseNotes/3.0
- If your printer does not work, look it up at
http://h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en . Probably it needs non-free
firmware or driver to work. Check there to make sure. I would suggest
not using the non-free driver from Brother if you value your freedom.
- If your browser does not work with Yahoo, please do not blame your
browser. Probably Yahoo is introducing non-free Flash that is not
supported by standards.

Try another solution that does not justify oppression from Yahoo or
Brother. If using what you usually have is not possible, try changing
the Yahoo and Brother. Maybe it could be your last resort. But we will
help you if you can manage to put the work to be done and not let us do
it for you.

It's nice to have an old wise fox around. You might want to test and
experiment other free GNU distros such as Trisquel, Parabola, Dyne or
others http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Please consider backing up your data before any experimenting ;-) . I
had a total loss of information yesterday so I know how important it is
to prepare beforehand. The best is to have a working system that you can
experiment with and have a backup of the data that is recorded in it.
Installation can be redone but data must be recovered. Two copies must
be made.

Greetings,

Quiliro
Quito, Ecuador, South America, America