Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense, Guix, and the future of GNU

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense, Guix, and the future of GNU
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:00:03 -0500

2013/12/17 Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
Op Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:30:21 -0500
schreef Felipe Lopez <address@hidden>:

> What do gNewSense users and developers think about GNU Guix? Should
> we go for gNewSense 4 or should we go for GNU Guix 1.0?

I had some time to watch Ludovic's presentation. It does seem like the
ultimate GNU distro, in principle. The team has come a long way in a
short time, but the package count is still relatively low. Also, the
young package manager, new init system, uncommon file system, potential
(temporary) dependency hell as the list of packages and versions grow,
not much attention for security (yet, afaict), aversion of patches
(possibly hindering integration) and the lack of post-install scripts
(I'm not sure yet how their alternative works) makes it very
interesting to hack on, but still a way off from being a distro that
grandma can use on her Yeeloong.

True. And, as in gNewSense, they need more skilled people to join and make things happen.

My understanding is that Guix is not just a package manager, but also
provides/needs its own operating system. So it probably can't be used
with gNewSense as an addition to apt to allow users to install GNU
packages in their home directories.

Yes, the idea is to have an independent operating system that uses all the GNU tools available.

I think that at this moment both gNewSense en Guix are worthwile
projects to work on.

I'll contribute to both whenever and wherever I can.

For those interested, a new roadmap for Guix 1.0 was published today:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-12/msg00120.html

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/