[gNewSense-users] gNewSense, Guix, and the future of GNU

From: Felipe Lopez
Subject: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense, Guix, and the future of GNU
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:30:21 -0500

Hi,

A few months ago I saw a presentation about GNU Guix, which is "a purely functional package manager for the GNU system, and a distribution thereof" [1]. On December 11, 2013, GNU Guix developers released version 0.5 which "can be used on top of an i686, x86_64, or mips64el GNU/Linux system, or in a virtual machine." [2], they say future versions will stand alone. So, GNU Guix is libre by default and, if I understand correctly, will be a complete operating system.

I'm reading more about Guix and seriously considering helping the project.

What do gNewSense users and developers think about GNU Guix? Should we go for gNewSense 4 or should we go for GNU Guix 1.0?

Looking forward to your comments,

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-12/msg00061.html

--