Re: [gNewSense-users] Very Slow Boot

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Very Slow Boot
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:12:51 +0000

On 30/07/12 19:57, Michał Masłowski wrote:
>> I have just installed Debian Squeeze with the Libre Linux kernel on my
>> Yeeloong 8089_B 8.9", but it takes 2 hours to boot.
>>
>> I used the instructions here: debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install.
<snip>
>> Booting
>> =================
>> Numbers 2 and 3 do not run. There is an error:
>> grub "error: you need to load linux first"
>>
>> Number 1 takes two hours to start! When it does load I see the Linux
>> Libre logo (Freedo penguin having a wash) and then it loads really
>> quickly.
>
> Linux from grub from PMON is slower than Linux from PMON (unsure if grub
> has significant advantages unless used as PMON-replacement directly).

faster than loading Linux (with an initrd) directly from PMON.  AFAIK
this is because of a bug in PMON on (some) Yeeloongs where PMON is
reading in the files using too small a block size.  It would be good if
PMON was packaged up with the block size fix so we could flash PMON on
our Yeeloongs and have the certainty that it was Free Software.

Cheers,
Mike.

--
FSF member #9429