Re: [gNewSense-users] [At Boot time] Disk check error.

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [At Boot time] Disk check error.
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:59:48 +0200

r. siddharth wrote:
So should I re-format my partition that is failing the hard-disk
error check ?

No. Ted Tso suggests [1] to check the filenames and clear the inodes
with debugfs:

debugfs -R "ncheck 905801" /dev/sda7
debugfs -R "clri <905801>" /dev/sda7

Your log file suggests that only cache files are affected, so you won't
loose any important data. Having a backup of the partition before
starting this procedure is always a good idea, of course.

I also want to know whether it is fine to use a different program
other than the one I used to previously partition my hard-disk ?

Yes.

[1]
http://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2009-February/msg00021.html