Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox

From: Kim Hawtin
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 16:51:02 +0930

On 03/05/12 19:37, Karl Goetz wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 04:08:28 +0400
Stayvoid<address@hidden>  wrote:
This question is a newbish one, but I can't find a good explanation.

What should I do to create my own mailbox?

do you mean 'How do I set up a mail server with its own name on my
server to receive email'?

Will it be enough to do the following:
1. Configure a zone file
How should I name my MX records? Are there any conventions on this?
Should I configure them up on the mailserver side first?

2. Install bind9
Is it necessary?

How you can configure a zone file without a name server? surely this is
step one? The only other way this is possible is if you use a remote
DNS service.

3. Install the mailserver (e.g. Postfix)

Thought i'd note that exim is installed by default, but you can install
anything.

Perhaps one should go back one step further...

1) Do you have a permanent static IP address?

2) If yes, do you have a domain?

3) If yes install your OS

4) You need a DNS server (software) to serve the DNS queries.
   Bind is probably the most widely supported and documented.
   Bind is a little bit complex, but there are whole IRC channels,
   mail lists and web sites setup to deal with support.

   There are other DNS servers (software), however they can be more
   complex to setup and don't have as large a communties around them.
   Alternatives; PowerDNS, DJBDNS

5) Configure your DNS sever to serve DNS including the host and
   mx records.

6a) You need an SMTP server (MTA) to receive incoming email.
    Karl recommends exim. It is shipped with Debian and Gnewsense.
    It is well documented, extremely flexible and secure. I use it
    and have configured it to handle many millions of incoming
    emails per day. Its extremely flexible

    Alternatives; Sendmail, sSMTP, qmail

6b) You need a way to get that email from the server to your desktop
    client, probably the best way is IMAP, I'd recommentd Courier-IMAP.

    Alternatives; uw-imapd, qmail, cyrus

7) Configure your mail servers.

8) You need a mail client (MUA), I'd recomment Thunderbird or mutt.

Alternatively if you don't have a fixed IP and a domain, you can use fetchmail and procmail to pull mail from a remote IMAP server and deliver locally -> Exim(6a) -> Courier IMAP(6b) -> Thunderbird(8).

regards,

Kim