Re: [gNewSense-users] when it comes out the new release of gNewSense?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] when it comes out the new release of gNewSense?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 19:42:56 +0200

Arthur Chan wrote:
Isn't it perfer LibreOffice to OpenOffice?

Not in our case, as I already said [1]. The recommendation on the LibrePlanet wiki is the easy fix for users: remove OpenOffice.org, download packages from libreoffice.org and install them.

For us a as a distribution it's important that all packages can be compiled with our own software and that we keep the (negative) impact of freeing a package down to a minimum. I admit that I haven't tried it, but my estimate was that backporting LibreOffice (and packages needed to compile it) would be more work than freeing OpenOffice.org and would be less well integrated in the distro.

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2012-04/msg00048.html