Re: [gNewSense-users] Mounting/partitioning inside a VM

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Mounting/partitioning inside a VM
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 19:41:07 +1000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 04:27:21 +0400
Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I'd suggest you don't have a separate /boot for gNS (I assume debian
> > has a boot directory of its own).
> Why?

Its *normally* more trouble then its worth. If you are doing a hardened
setup its usually split off, but in that case you might find it easier
to split out bits which change then bits which don't.

> > I'd suggest you include the gNS /boot on the gns / partition and
> > configure the grub currently installed (which i assume is debians)
> > to add gns as a boot option.
> This is not how it really works.
> It's not necessary to play with GRUB for this. I can disable Debian
> via webpanel. Debian and gNewSense use different disks (and GRUBs).
> My real scheme for partitions is more complicated (separate /opt,
> /var/mail etc.). I want to know what is the right way to mount a dir
> on a specific partition. Will it be enough to edit /etc/fstab and
> reboot?

In this case, I'll let you get on with it :)
You should be able to do it by editing fstab, and possibly some grub
configs. I'd suggest using UUIDs rather then partitions, unless you
know your hosting will keep them as they are.
thanks,

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
*** I've changed GPG key to 6C097260 ***