Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] wifi adapter (USB)

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] wifi adapter (USB)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 11:10:12 +0200

> Those from h-node are old models and it's hard to find them.
> It's also hard to find anything using the name of the chipset. (Most
> of the specs don't have this information.)

There are some manufacturers stating what chipsets are used.  TP-Link
has devices with Atheros chipsets, but the USB ones won't work due to
the firmware (ath9k_htc).

http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/ sells devices working with Trisquel, they
will work with gNewSense unless the drivers are too old.  I never bought
From them (preferring TP-Link PCI wifi cards which are easy to buy with
chipsets supported by ath5k or ath9k), there are many good opinions on
Trisquel forums.

> Are these the only ones which do not require non-free firmware/drivers?
> driver/firmware:
> - ath5k
> - ath9k
> - rtl8187
> - rt2500

Probably yes.  There are some old Broadcom chips with reverse engineered
firmware, it doesn't work with newer revisions of them.