Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:38:44 -0500

Stayvoid <address@hidden> writes:

>> (I have removed the CC: to the list since I think that this problem is
>> more specific than what the list might normally be interested in.)
> I've added the list back.
> Maybe there are people somewhere who may find this information useful.
> The knowledge should be publicly available.

OK

>> $ ls -l /usr/bin/X*
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=acmi4tV8
>
> Did you check my .config file?
> Are you sure that the problem is not connected with the wrong kernel settings?

I skimmed them and don't feel that you are lacking anything there.  What
is the output of

$ dpkg -l '*nouv*' | grep ^ii

Something I should have suggested earlier is to do

$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-vesa

and then try starting X.

It's not ideal, but at least it helps narrow down the problem.

>> If you trust me, you could create a dummy account for me on your machine
>> that I could log into.
> Sorry, but I'm too paranoid for this.
>
>> I'm OK w/ going back and forth in email.
> Let's stick with it.

That's fine.

Cheers,
Bake