Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:18:03 -0500

Stayvoid <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have two cards: nVidia GT216 [GeForce GT 330M] (rev a2) and Intel HD.
> What should I do to make X work?
>
> I'd already installed xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and
> xserver-xorg-video-intel, but when I try to run Xorg it outputs an
> error: "(EE) [drm] failed to open device."
> (Here is the error that I get after every boot: "drm: i915_init]
> *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!")
>
> This guide [1] wasn't helpful. "modprobe nouveau" outputs nothing, but
> there is no nouveau module in the output of "lsmod."

Not sure about the Intel HD, but for the nouveau module it looks like
you will need to install a kernel with nouveau support.  Look for
"linux-libre" and follow the instructions to prepare a libre version of
the Linux kernel.  Then configure, compile, and install it using
kernel-package.  I use 'make menuconfig' for configuration, and the
nouveau module is in Device Drivers > Staging Drivers > Nouveau.  It
works fine for me, with the exception of rendering my text console
useless.

Cheers,
Bake