Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless,Thanks Alberts!

From: Morne Alberts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless,Thanks Alberts!
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 21:40:43 +0200

Hi Guido

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM, guido mezzalana <address@hidden> wrote:

> Understood!:(
>
> Hi Alberts!
>
> Too bad:( Most of Linux distro does not come with this kind of issue.

gNewSense is a 100% Free distro (software libero). Other distros do
not care about freedom. Please read here why other distros are not
considered 100% free (libero):
http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

> My hope is next gNewSense will come with a broad range of net. card.

If the hardware companies release the information needed for the card
to have free firmware, then it might be included. Otherwise non-free
firmware will *never* be included.

> I did use DLING wireless USB already without any success, for me I am not a
> very expert would be a quite of head ache and money .......

D-Link wireless USB sticks usually need non-free firmware.

> I am using Linux Mint 11 at the moment and I have already tested 20 of Linux
> distro:)

Mint contains non-free software and most likely the others too.

> there are several distro similar then gNewSense in terms of network setting
> issue such as Liquid Lemur, Antix, Zinex, Debian Incognito, PapugLinux,
> Slitaz, BlackBuntu etc....

I am not sure what you mean. If you mean they also do not connect with
your wireless card then maybe they also do not have the correct
firmware. I have not used any of those so I cannot help you.

> I am lloking for something simple, stable and some network forensic option to
> monitor any possible intrusion such as DEFT (it works well with my Thinkpad)
> or BlackBunto or DSL which  it did now allow me to connect via wireless.

Here is a list of 100% free GNU/Linux distributions:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
If you do not like gNewSense, you can try Trisquel. However, none of
those distros will give you wireless because your internal card still
requires non-free firmware. None of those distros will ever give you
non-free firmware.

If the network forensic software you require is free, then you should
be able to find it in one of those distros. If it is non-free, you
will not.

> Then, I am using USB and UnetBooting to try all distro but is like the
> Russian roulette, most 50% or more I am getting corrupted ISO, Toasted:).

Your download might be corrupt or the USB drive might be corrupt. You
should verify the ISO after you download it to be sure it is not
corrupted.

> There are some distro quite strong in terms of firewall, such as Linux
> Browser and/orMijnPup52, Puppy etc.
>
> Please, could you tell me the difference from choosing a download type such
> as ISO and/or IMEG?

ISO and IMG are different file system types used to create images of,
for example, CDs and DVDs. For practical purposes there is no
difference between them
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_%28file_format%29).

> Again, I very much appreciate your time, thnaks Alberts and have a nice day!

Unfortunately, if you choose to use non-free firmware for your
wireless then we will not be able to help you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.