Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless, please help, thanks!

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless, please help, thanks!
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:13:09 +0100

(Back on the mailing list, to let others participate in the discussion.)

Francesco Cardi wrote:
Also contact Intel, Lenovo and the shop where you got the machine
about your issue and ask them if they can provide a solution that
is compatible with free software.

mm I do not think it's a good solution. I have always contacted these
companies and have not been able to give me a solution to eliminate the free wireless that works for one with a free firmware.

Maybe contacting them doesn't help you get a wireless connection immediately. Maybe they won't ever help you getting this chip to work. But your chances are better if you try, than when you do nothing. And the more people contact them about these issues, the more likely they are to consider our needs in the future. If not a short term solution, it's working towards a long term solution.

To improve your odds, say to the big companies that you'll make their answer public (e.g. blog, social media). When you contact a local shop, pressure them into competing on freedom (instead of the usual suspects: price and features) by making it clear that you'll also contact other shops in the neighbourhood about it (and actually do that). If any of your friends and family also want a wifi stick, you can use that as leverage. Maybe the shop will give you a discount on a free software compatible stick.

The best way to quickly get a wifi connection is to get a supported device.