Re: [gNewSense-users] Is Debian now fully free? (Dennis Worthem)

From: Paul Roge
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Is Debian now fully free? (Dennis Worthem)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:56:10 -0500

> Do you mind giving a status update on gNewSense 3.0?

I have the same question.

After installing gnewsense parkes (same as gnewsense 3.0, right?) on a yeeloong
laptop via debootstrap, the system seems to work fine. It would appear to be a
replicate of debian squeeze with a few packages removed. This is what I have
encountered thus far that in my opinion could be improved...

* include libreoffice (available in debian backport, openoffice isn't available
in gnewsense parkes)
* include icecat (iceweasel isn't available in gnewsense parkes)
* fix xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion (on yeeloong must still remove
siliconmotion driver or install xserver from anheng repository to have an
operational X11)
* fix bug #32865 so that folks don't have to debootstrap
* include fsfla kernels (for mipsel, currently only malta and cobalt available)
* fix more recent fsfla kernels to have wireless driver activated (>2.6.38, "#
CONFIG_RTL8187B is not set"). Earlier kernels in the fsfla metad repository
work fine (<2.6.38).

I am not a developer, but would like to help.

thanks,
Paul