Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:24:41 +1000

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 20:55:31 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Richard wrote:
> > Would you also use webadmin under gnwesence to get a samba sever in
> > use? If not, how can i get an interface to the networkcard, users
> > and samba? Or do i realy have to edit all the configuration files
> > by hand. Even i have problems to change the runlevel direkt after
> > boot, so that only samba is runnig and what samba realy needs for
> > "runlevel 3".
>
> I always just edit the configuration file, but I only use Samba for
> simple home network stuff. I found a few packages that provide a
> graphical interface, but I don't know how good they are:
>
> - gsambad/gadmin-samba
> - nautilus-share
> - swat
> - gosa

If you want a general web panel there are lots of others too:
<DTC>, <GNUPanel>, <ISPConfig>, <ispCP>, <RavenCore>.
 (i don't know if they do samba or not).

> Webmin is not included in gNewSense, but a Debian package for it can
> be downloaded from the project's website. It's free software, as far
> as I know.

It is free software, but is renoun for breaking upgrades (and stamping
on files it shouldn't). Things may have changed recently, i can't
comment for it in the last few years.

thanks,

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au