Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gnewsense webadmin samba
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 20:55:31 +0200

Richard wrote:
Would you also use webadmin under gnwesence to get a samba sever in use? If not, how can i get an interface to the networkcard, users and samba? Or do i realy have to edit all the configuration files by hand. Even i have problems to change the runlevel direkt after boot, so that only samba is runnig and what samba realy needs for "runlevel 3".

I always just edit the configuration file, but I only use Samba for simple home network stuff. I found a few packages that provide a graphical interface, but I don't know how good they are:

- gsambad/gadmin-samba
- nautilus-share
- swat
- gosa

Webmin is not included in gNewSense, but a Debian package for it can be downloaded from the project's website. It's free software, as far as I know.

gNewSense distinguishes less runlevels. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Now the real questen: How much investigation would it cost, to build an install routin to help users like me?

What do you mean by "install routine"? We generally don't write new software for gNewSense. If you want a package included we can consider that, but if it doesn't help software freedom in a major way (e.g. support for a very popular file format) then chances are slim. We strongly encourage you to get it included in Debian first instead.

> I am also getting older, soo
> learning and trying isnt't enymore that easy.

I hear learning keeps the brain young. :)

Thanks for your awsners, and please don't lock on my englisch grammar.

A spelling checker can help avoid some confusion. :)