Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Not able to reach Login screen - Display issue
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:00:45 +0200

> As for fixing it, if you really can't get a prompt (see my other email),
> you may be able to do the same thing after using chroot to set the
> apparent root directory.  You'll have to do some reading on how chroot
> works, unless someone else is more familiar with this (SamGee? Karl?) can
> give you detailed instructions.  I only have a bare trifle of experience
> from trying to debootstrap a system once.

Does gNS support something like single-user mode which would enter a
root shell instead of running X and some other services?

I use these commands to enter a parkes chroot:
mount /mnt/gns
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gns/dev
mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/gns/dev/pts
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gns/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/gns/sys
chroot /mnt/gns su - mtjm

The first one would be usually replaced by e.g. "mount /dev/sda1
/mnt/gns", it's useful to check /mnt/gns/etc/fstab to see which other
file systems should be mounted.

To use it as root the last line should be "chroot /mnt/gns /bin/bash".
Then "source /etc/profile" would be useful, the LiveCD might use
environment variables not appropriate for the chroot (my most common
problem with specific-use chroots without some localization packages).

To have working network, /etc/resolv.conf should be edited, e.g. by
copying this file from the LiveCD.

(Maybe we should document it on the wiki if it works?)