Re: [gNewSense-users] LibreOffice 3.3.0 on gNS 2.3 DeltaH: documentation

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] LibreOffice 3.3.0 on gNS 2.3 DeltaH: documentation available
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:29:20 +0100

al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
Documentation about LibreOffice and how to install LibreOffice 3.3.0 on
gNewSense 2.3 DeltaH, is now available on the gNS wiki:
http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/LibreOffice

Feedbacks are welcome.

I [SG] started on this guide in the role of Joe "I learned about GNU/Linux 3 weeks ago" User [JU][1]. Some comments:

* "This step can be different ... Most people will open Synaptic to do this." [JU] 'How would it be different?', 'Am I most people?', 'What do I do in this Synaptic thing?' [SG] You can assume people have a more or less standard install, with only packages from our repo. Anyone who hasn't would know what to do. We have a page about Synaptic [2], so you can link to that (although it doesn't say anything about removing yet). There's also a page about command line tools [3]. Linking to both on pages that deal with adding/removing package is better than writing it out on every page. Perhaps we should even just link to the Synaptic page and link that in turn to the command line page (for advanced users).

* I opened Synaptic, searched for "openoffice" and ticked "completely remove" for every installed package. But for some packages, like openoffice.org-help-nl and openoffice.org-hyphenation I got a popup to also remove language-support-nl and some other packages. [JU] I break out in a cold sweat, taking the "be careful uninstalling these packages" warning very seriously. After my breathing calms down I close Synaptic, hoping that doesn't b0rk my system, and continue using OO.o 2.4. [SG] I don't know if you encountered this, but it's worth explaining if and why these extra packages can be removed.

JU's experience ends there and SG didn't have time to look at the rest (but will do later).

[1] All characters in this example are entirely fictional. Any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental.
[2] http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/Synaptic
[3] http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/Apt-getAndAptitude