Re: [gNewSense-users] Computer Won't Boot

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Computer Won't Boot
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:40:14 +0100

Harry wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm still a bit confused.

My sequence to create the first large partition was n, p, 1, 1,
38913. Then I did a, 1, but I'm not sure how to make the filesystem
ext3 or if those were even the right commands.

Set the system id ("t" command) to "Linux (83)".

And the "back end" is partition #4?

If you want just 2 partitions then it's probably #2. "Back end" in this context just means "after the other partition", so the partition with the highest start cylinder.

And how would I make the size 1 GB,

fdisk says how many bytes a unit (a.k.a. block) is. You can calculate the number of cylinders from that.

or how would I designate this as swap?

Set the system id to 82.

You might want to use cfdisk instead of fdisk. Its interface is a bit more friendly.

Sent from my iPhone

I wonder how hard it would be to remove or change that signature.

P.S.: Please actually reply to the message you mean to reply to. Your
reply to Paul's message breaks the thread.