Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:41:31 +0100

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
Hi, Noob question: I'm trying to setup my monitors through
gnome-display-properties so that I can stretch the desktop across two
monitors.  But I'm running into problems because any time I try to
set the resolution above 640x480 and click "Apply" either the second
monitor shuts off completely, or the 1st monitor's output is just
cloned to the second. I looked online for any information, but most
of what I found was about laptops + external monitor or really odd
setups.  I'm running deltah 2.3 with an ati radeon 300SE*.  Any
advice or links to resources?

I believe the Radeon driver in gNewSense is not (fully) functional because of non-free firmware that was removed. You may be using a more generic driver that doesn't support 2 monitors. Executing this command in a terminal gives you an idea about which driver you're using:

grep drivers /var/log/Xorg.0.log