Re: [gNewSense-users] GNU Icecat 3.6.13 privacy extension issue.

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GNU Icecat 3.6.13 privacy extension issue.
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:48:12 +0100

> I updated gNewSense 2.3 deltah today. The update installed a new
> version of Icecat ( 3.6.13 ). This minor update includes a Gnuzilla
> privacy extension which asks the user if he wants to install it,
> while the user opens icecat after the update ( for the first time ).
> I think this extension requires "sudo" privilges to get installed. So
> you have to run icecat with sudo privileges to get the extension
> installed.
>
> Period.
>
> When I refused to install the extension and went forward at the first
> time. I was suprised to find that most of the extensions that I use
> stopped functioning completely :
>
> Here is the List of extensions I use:
> DownThemAll  1.1.10 ( didn't work )
> Firemacs 3.8 ( didn't work)
> NoScript 2.0.8.1 ( didn't work )
> Personas 2.6  ( worked ).

Here is one solution from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2010-12/msg00051.html:

  As a solution, you can delete manually the file
  /usr/lib/icecat/extensions/privacy_ext.xpi.

The problem will be fixed in the next release (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2010-12/msg00061.html).

Christophe