Re: [gNewSense-users] Modprobe and Unmet Package Dependencies

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Modprobe and Unmet Package Dependencies
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:32:53 +0100

Paul Roge wrote:
Hello,

I have a Lemote Yeeloong notebook that is running Gnewsense metad. I
have three questions:

1. On startup, I receive the following warning:

modprobe: Fatal: Could not
load /lib/modules/2.6.32.11-libre1-lemote/modules.dep
No such file or directory

How can this be resolved?

Executing "dpkg -S modules.dep" in a terminal will tell you which packages the file modules.dep is in, with the full path. Reinstalling the package ("aptitude reinstall <package>" without the brackets) should bring the file back.

2. The following package upgrades are held back by apt-get due to unmet
dependencies:
alacarte alsa-utils apt apt-listchanges apt-utils aptitude avahi-daemon
bash bc bind9-host dnsutils libavahi-ui0

Does this matter? How can the packages be upgraded?

It seems some packages in our repository got upgraded when they shouldn't have. We're looking into the issue.

3. Which kernel should I be using? I tried to replace
linux-image-2.6.31.26-libre1-lemote with
linux-image-2.6.36.1-libre-lemote, however thereafter grub-yeeloong and
yeeloong-base were marked as obsolete. When I marked yeeloong-base for
reinstallation, it asked to reinstall
linux-image-2.6.31.26-libre1-lemote.

There's a hard dependency between yeeloong-base and linux-image-2.6.31.26-libre1-lemote. I recommend that you leave both packages installed. You can additionally install a newer Linux-libre version, like 2.6.36.1, without any problems. Currently the Linux-libre packages don't upgrade automatically, so you have to periodically check for newer versions if you want them. Sometimes we upgrade the dependency in yeeloong-base and then you do automatically get the upgrade.