Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Need a printer for my computer - I think I fou

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Need a printer for my computer - I think I found one "HP F2480"
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:42:47 +0200

Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
Hi,

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/printers linked to
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html .
It shows a large table of printers (a lot for my Lemote Yeeloong
iceweasel webbrowser, so it took some extra loadtime) and I found the
one I want to buy "HP F2480" and the page says it works with free
software. I doubt if the people in the shop have tried a fully free
distribution with a printer. The link you suggested takes me to a page
that doesn't show a table of printers.

I think I also looked at that page before I went printer shopping for a laser printer a few years ago. I remember coming up with a list of less than 10 printers that were (probably) well supported by free software and more or less matched my feature requests. From my own (limited) experience with printers I can say that HP printers work pretty well, even beyond basic printing (e.g. reading ink levels etc.). I've been less lucky with other brands (Epson, Lexmark).

Ask the shop people if you can test the printer there with a free distro live CD. If they don't allow that, ask if you can return it if it doesn't work with free software. If it does work, be sure to report it to the FSF's hardware list (you could write a detailed report on the gNewSense or LibrePlanet wiki and mail them a link).