Re: [gNewSense-users] Lemote: network interfaces down at startup

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Lemote: network interfaces down at startup
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 21:50:21 +0930

On Wed, 05 May 2010 23:04:50 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Federico Bruni schreef:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have the following problem:
> >
> > when I start the system network interfaces are all down (except for
> > lo). I'm not using any network manager.
> >
> > I used rcconf to disable /etc/init.d/networking, in order to avoid
> > waste of time at startup (because interfaces are down so DHCP makes
> > several tries in vain).
>
> I had a quick look at this. The wifi chip is switched on by
> /etc/init.d/yeeloong-base. The boot sequence starts with runlevel S
> (including networking), followed by runlevel 2 (including
> yeeloong-base). So it tries to bring up the network while it is still
> unavailable.

Then we should probably change the network script to depend on the
yeeloong init script, and remove the yeeloong scripts dependency on
$remote_fs.

> This is my unconfirmed suspicion. If this is true then you should be
> able to get it working by linking /etc/init.d/yeeloong-base in
> /etc/rcS.d/ before networking.

Which makes me wonder why its not linked in earlier in rcS. its in at
20 for all other runlevels (networking is at 26).

> > Two weird things:
> > * if /etc/init.d/networking is enabled at startup the above
> > procedure does not work, so I can't get wireless connection working
>
> See suggestion above.
>
> > * if /etc/init.d/networking is disabled I get an error message at
> > startup: "Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed!"
>
> Sounds like the NFS init script could use some more checks. Because
> NFS is only useful with a network connection this is also nothing to
> worry about.

nfs depends on networking via portmap (according to its init block).

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au