[gNewSense-users] Re: [OSM-talk] Moving to Java 1.6 not so easy to swall

From: Niklas Cholmkvist
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: [OSM-talk] Moving to Java 1.6 not so easy to swallow
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:26:21 +0200

Hello,

Greg Troxel typed:
> (Yes, I know about openjdk, and I've tried to run josm and mkgmap
> under
> it on NetBSD/i386.  So far I'm not having a successful experience.)
Using only free software, regardless if it is permissive or copyleft,
JOSM works for me using OpenJDK 6.

I have the openjdk-6-jre(6b11-9.1+lenny2) package installed on my
gNewSense 3.0 OS which has a MIPSel-64 Central Processing Unit(cpu). I
see in my package manager that openjdk-6-jdk(6b11-9.1+lenny2) is also
available, although it is not installed on my system.

I also used gNewSense 2.3 in the past which was based on Ubuntu Hardy
(8.04). Both gNewSense 2.3 and Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) has OpenJDK version
6, (package openjdk-6-jre 6b11-2ubuntu2.1) and JOSM worked good on it!
gNS 2.3 and Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) run on the i386 architecture cpu.
The Operating System distribution I use now for most edits is Trisquel
3.0 based on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Kind regards,

Niklas