[gNewSense-users] Re: Trying to re-build fstab to read usb port drives

From: MK
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Trying to re-build fstab to read usb port drives
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:35:18 -0500

So this is supposed to be the usb drive:

/dev/sdd1       /media/Sugar    ext3    auto  user,noauto       0
0
>(i added this line, the other lines self-corrected themselves in
>boot-up)

If it works, it's fine -- you didn't say, so I presume it does not
(otherwise what's the problem?).

To find the device node for an inserted drive, check the contents
of /dev before and after you insert it.  Generally usb drives will show
up as some as "sd" something (eg, sdd1).  Test this with mount:

mount -v -t ext3 /dev/sdd1 /media/Sugar

By the way: I'm going to recommend you use ext2 and NOT ext3 with usb
drives.  You will have fewer problems that way, and *they will last
longer*.

If the mount command fails, it failed either because the drive is not
there or is not properly formatted.  Try a different device node (eg,
sdc1), but only use nodes that actually exist in /dev.

This should help you decide what the fstab entry should be. Be aware
that if you insert more than one drive at a time, the nodes get
rearranged.

--
MK <address@hidden>