Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: development libraries

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: development libraries
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 23:12:12 +0100

MK schreef:
I suppose that is it -- unfortunately there is *zero info* on
repositories on the gnewsense site!

What kind of info would you like to see? Most of the website is a freely editable wiki, so if you can help with this, please do.

But this is based on ubuntu 8.04 right, so I can guess I can just
import packages from there.   Altho that seems to defeat the
purpose somewhat.

Indeed. There might be some free packages from Ubuntu's multiverse repo that we don't carry, but take caution when importing from there. This is not something we encourage.

Are you perhaps looking for libglib2.0-dev? Development libraries are sometimes hard to find, so you have to be persistent and creative. :)

I doubt that is the problem -- just doing "apt search dev" turns up
next to nothing.  If by "hard to find" you mean, not listed or
unavailable, I guess hard it will be.

On my deltah system:
$ apt-cache search dev | wc -l
5008
$ aptitude search dev | wc -l
2772

Never had any problems like this on any other debian derived system I
have worked on, and there have been a few.  I'm a programmer and do a
lot of source building, never had any problem finding dev libs with
apt.  At all.