Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:37:47 -0800

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Dmitry Samoyloff <address@hidden> wrote:

> The license of these firmwares contains "No reverse engineering,
> decompilation, or disassembly of this Software is permitted.".

Are we looking at the same one? I'm looking at the two links mentioned here:

That email thread says that this is the microcode for AMD video cards
which is required in order to have 2D/3D acceleration with otherwise
free drivers. This text is at the beginning of each of those files.

/*
  * Copyright 2008-2009 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  * All Rights Reserved.
  *
  * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
  * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
  * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
  * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
  * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
  * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
  *
  * The above copyright notice and this permission notice (including the next
  * paragraph) shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
  * Software.
  *
  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
  * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
  * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
  * IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER(S) AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE
  * LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION
  * OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
  * WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
  *
  */