Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:09:28 -0800

On Jan 8, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Sam Geeraerts wrote:

> This would be interesting to know. I've heard from a Nouveau developer that
> Nouveau was nearing blob-free status, but that radeon(hd) still has blobs
> that have something to do with microcode and that there are no (short term)
> plans to get rid of those. I haven't verified or investigated this in any
> way, though.

If it contains binary blobs, I wonder why radeonhd is available in the
gNewSense repositories. It's an older version, for sure, but it's there. The
only reason I grabbed a newer version is because the one in the gNewSense
repositories was too old (support for my video card wasn't added until later.)