Re: [gNewSense-users] Software with GPLv3+

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Software with GPLv3+
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:00:49 +0100

eX_Shadow schreef:
Hello, I am aware of 2 web browser and 1 mail client under GPLv3 +, I
think it is important to promote these programs, they are dillo.org
uzbl.org and claws-mail.org.

Why don't replace Epiphany with Dillo? Evolution with Claws-Mail?
I speak of the software installed by default.

It is important promote the GPLv3+

Encouraging projects to adopt GPLv3 is a good idea. However, the importance of GPLv3 differs between projects. I don't think there's a pressing need for Web browsers and mail clients to move to it (apart from video codec implementations, maybe).

Other considerations are more important here. Dillo's security is incomplete [1] and it lacks features most users expect from a Web browser these days. Evolution is hard to get rid of in GNOME, I think, but still sucks on small resolutions like the Yeeloong's. Claws could be an alternative there, but the FSF have already expressed the wish to get Thunderbird running properly, because it's a popular and feature-rich mail client.

As Paul said: sending in patches (and/or very convincing arguments) helps to get things done.

I think upstream projects pay more attention to direct requests to upgrade their license than to distros trying to pressure them by changing the default applications. So if you want projects to change then please respectfully contact them about it.

[1] http://www.dillo.org/FAQ.html#q12