Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:26:46 -0800

> My integrated HD 3200 (RS780) works very slow in 2D and have no 3D
> acceleration with deblobbed kernels. I tried the bleeding edge actually:
> Linux-libre-2.6.32, Mesa from VCS, xf86-video-ati (radeon) from VCS. It is
> because driver depends on firmwares located in Linux in "firmware/radeon"
> directory. They are not free and has been deleted.
>
> Which GPU you have?

I have RV620. Specifically, this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259

After it arrived I found that support for RV620 didn't appear in
radeonhd until version 1.2 and the version in the gNewSense
repositories was too old.

A quick compile later and I had a fully functional video card. The 2D
performance is just fine and I find X to be very snappy. Even my 1080p
videos play well (they're using Theora and that codec admittedly isn't
very demanding in the first place.) It looks like Debian has a
sufficiently new version in their repositories so I'm looking forward
to the card working out of the box when gNewSense 3.0 comes along. :)

3D graphics acceleration has never been important to me so I've never
really looked into the matter. I suppose I could try, but I'm on
vacation right now and won't have access to that machine until the
17th.