Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 08:45:36 +0300

Jason Self wrote:
> >> In reviewing the radeonhd changelog for version 1.3 they say that 2D
> >> acceleration (EXA) is enabled by default now, except on RV740.
> >
> > I bet they are using non-free firmware for this.
>
> I haven't looked yet, but can check into it when I get home.

My integrated HD 3200 (RS780) works very slow in 2D and have no 3D
acceleration with deblobbed kernels. I tried the bleeding edge actually:
Linux-libre-2.6.32, Mesa from VCS, xf86-video-ati (radeon) from VCS. It is
because driver depends on firmwares located in Linux in "firmware/radeon"
directory. They are not free and has been deleted.

> >> I think that AMD's level of involvement with the free software
> >> community is enough to give them my money when I buy video cards.
> >
> > I suppose, most of subscribers of this mailing list (including me)
> > would like
> > to use their hardware with gNewSense OS. Thus I wouldn't recommend
> > yet ATI
> > GPUs for users needing 3D and appreciating a software freedom.
>
> I thought radeonhd was free software. IIRC, it's available in the
> gNewSense repository and my video card works just fine with it &
> gNewSense (I needed to get a newer version though.)

Which GPU you have?

> So if not AMD, then what?

This is a good question in fact. It would be great to poll gNewSense users to
find out what video chip they are using in their system of choice. I
especially interested in 3D.

I have a netbook with gNewSense installed and 3D is working good on it's Intel
GMA. The desktop is AMD/ATI-based (HD3200) and 3D isn't working on it with
deblobbed kernels. So, I'm looking for some PCI-E video card which will work
with gNewSense in 3D. Intel chips are good, but they are integrated only. I'd
probably buy some older ATI card, they are working without firmware AFAIK, but
I'm not sure which model I need. Actually, I'd be all right even with not very
fast GPU.

What are YOU guys using for 3D?

--
Regards, Dmitry Samoyloff