Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ATI blobs (was: runlevel 3 don't work)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:19:42 -0800

Moreover, there's no 2D acceleration also for the newer ATI chips (without
firmwares), Xorg works slow as hell :-(

In reviewing the radeonhd changelog for version 1.3 they say that 2D acceleration (EXA) is enabled by default now, except on RV740.

I believe it is a community pressure
(http://www.fsf.org/photos/rms-sign.jpg) which is lead ATI to releasing
their specs. However that was not enough: required firmwares remains
non-free.

That might be it, but ATI actually never released any specs until AMD bought
it.

And IIRC, people started predicting the release of documentation and code on the same day that the buyout was announced.

AMD pays some of their developers to work on the free software radeonhd driver, and they also contribute to CoreBoot. This exceeds Nvidia's level of cooperation as I understand it.

I think that AMD's level of involvement with the free software community is enough to give them my money when I buy video cards.