Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:05:59 +0100

Jason Self schreef:
Why it couldn't be Gnash?

The primary reason not to support Flash is that Flash is not a
standard. It is not recognized by any standards body, there is only
one complete implementation (IETF's RFC 2026 Section 4.1.2 requires
"at least two independent and interoperable implementations from
different code bases" to be considered even a "Draft Standard"), the
source code for that lone implementation is not freely-available, and
the complete specification for making a compatible Flash player is not
available.

That's a good point, but "recognized by a standards body" doesn't always hold much value (e.g. OOXML). Are Ogg, Vorbis and Theora recognized by a standards body?

FLV/F4V specs have no restrictions on implementation anymore.

[No need to repeat it here again]

That's a nice summary of the issues. I rechecked Wikipedia about it and most of what you say is on there, but it's spread around across articles. I haven't found any other website that lists these issues clearly. If you or anyone else wants to write a WhyNotFlash page on our wiki, that would be very useful.