Re: [gNewSense-users] An update on Mininova

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] An update on Mininova
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:35:30 +0200

Frederique W. Piccart schreef:
I couldn't find the old email, so I'll just repost.

Mininova was kind enough to follow the correct GNU philosophy and renamed
their "Linux" section to GNU/Linux:
http://www.mininova.org/sub/17

Although it took a few emails, this is the result if you try to explain and
reason behind things. ;)

Cool. Nice work, Fred.

The only thing to complete freedom for Mininova would be freeing their
toolbar (which samgee noticed it not being free), however, it was made by
another company, so they can't do much about that.

Just as you asked Mininova to change the name of the section, they can at least ask the other company to release the source code for the toolbar. If they won't then Mininova still have the option of removing the toolbar from their website so as to not recommend using non-free software.

Maybe we should give them a helping hand? Any toolbar designers in here? :)

I'm pretty sure there are already a few torrent- and Mininova-specific Mozilla extensions. Whether they are free I leave as an exercise to the reader. But if they are then Mininova could use that as a basis for a toolbar. Or ask the developer of the extension to add the features they want. Such a toolbar may only work in Mozilla-based browsers, but it's better than nothing, or non-free software.