[gNewSense-users] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Progress in testing a patched Buil

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Progress in testing a patched Builder on newer Ubuntu releases!
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 09:19:14 +0930

On Sun, August 30, 2009 04:46, Bake Timmons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch to Builder[1] that enables me to build a LiveCD
> based on a recent snapshot of Ubuntu Jaunty[2].  I installed from the
> image onto a qemu hard drive image, booted the qemu image and have
> lightly tested it in KVM with no problems so far.  Unfortunately, I have
> been on 24K dialup for many months now, so I cannot upload a CD image.
> If there is any interest in using that newer software or testing to
> improve builder, perhaps someone might upload a CD image.
>
> The patch is against svn revision 281 of Builder.

Have you done 'clean system' tests with it? (eg, removed all your existing
pakages and rebuilt from scratch).

> *TODO*

(trim)

> 3. My CD images based on newer and more space-consuming software seem to
> be almost 50MB larger than the current official gNewSense CD image --
> too large I believe.  What do we cut out of an installation based on
> Jaunty, Karmic, etc.?

If its <700 it still fits on a cd.

> 5. Handle $MAINTINFO values of the form
> 'gNewSense hackers <address@hidden>' .  While I know a hacky
> way to get that to work, for now I just use a simple email address like
> 'address@hidden' .

This should already be handled correctly. Whats wrong?

On Sun, August 30, 2009 05:23, Bake Timmons wrote:
> Bake Timmons <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> --=-=-=
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is a patch to Builder[1] that enables me to build a LiveCD
>> based on a recent snapshot of Ubuntu Jaunty[2].  I installed from the
>> image onto a qemu hard drive image, booted the qemu image and have
>> lightly tested it in KVM with no problems so far.  Unfortunately, I have
>> been on 24K dialup for many months now, so I cannot upload a CD image.
>> If there is any interest in using that newer software or testing to
>> improve builder, perhaps someone might upload a CD image.
>>
>> The patch is against svn revision 281 of Builder.
>>

> NOTE: The patch will not work for Jaunty, etc., unless some files are
> added to the web server setup that the Builder docs describe.  In
> particular, you need to have a "linux-libre" directory in your web root
> directory that contains the relevant files from the linux-libre
> project[1].  E.g., the user should be able to access
>
> http://localhost/linux-libre/deblob-{2.6.28,check,main}
>
> Since builder will have to re-run the time-consuming deblob-main several
> times, I recommend running deblob-main manually, so as to generate a
> bzipped tarball.  Then uncompress, recompress with gzip, and install it
> so that it can be accessed as:

I'm sure you can create a gen-clean-kernel you run once which makes the
tarball for you.

> http://localhost/linux-libre/linux-2.6.28-libre3.tar.gz
>
> (Perhaps there are already such compressed tarballs that you can just
> download, convert to a .gz, serve up with your web server, and have it
> all work out OK.)

I'm pretty sure l-l do provide tarballs on their site.

> Finally, specify that URL in config.local like this:
>
> LINUXLIBRE_TARBALL_URL=http://localhost/linux-libre/linux-2.6.28-libre3.tar.gz

You should add this to config (with apropriate coment) as well.

http://www.kgoetz.id.au