Re: [gNewSense-users] HP Deskjet 2560

From: aurelien
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] HP Deskjet 2560
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 21:24:36 +0300

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 19:25 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Brian Kemp schreef:
> > From Linuxprinting.org:
> >
> > "I tried this printer on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, and with the help of
> > hlplip, it works fine. I had to do a little extra work, because the standard
> > Ubuntu 8.04 had hplit 2.8.2 on board, which is not appropiate. You should
> > install 2.8.5 or higher. I tried the automatic installer, but that did not
> > work. Then I installed 2.8.7 manually, followed the instructions, and
> > everything works fine!"
> >
> > gNS 2.2 is based on Ubuntu 8.04, which means that hpilp is going to be
> > 2.8.2.
> >
> > You will need to install a later version of hpilp. Someone could set up
> > packages or a PPA maybe? I'd love to see a gNS PPA/backport repository. We
> > have one for icecat :)
>
> Launchpad, including Soyuz (a.k.a. PPA's), is free now, so I'd say PPA's
> are not discouraged.
>
> > PLEASE NOTE: hpilp does include binary-only firmware for certain printers.
> > The d2560 does *NOT* require binary firmware--BUT if you use a vanilla hpilp
> > install you will probably end up with this firmware lying around on your
> > disk, being useless and taking up space and looking blobby.
>
> Does HPLIP actually include the firmware? This might be a bug for
> gNewSense because we don't change the Ubuntu package and I'm not so sure
> that Ubuntu or even Debian remove anything from it.
>
> A quick browse through HPLIP's Debian bugs shows that very likely
> something is not OK. It seems that HPLIP could download some non-free
> blobs [1]. I'll check into it later and open a bug report if nobody
> beats me to it.
>
> > A PPA/package repo for hpilp would fix this, because we'd just strip out the
> > firmware.
>
> Ideas about how we'd "just" strip out the firmware are welcome. :)
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=451502

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 19:25 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Brian Kemp schreef:
> > You should
> > install 2.8.5 or higher. I tried the automatic installer, but that did not
> > work. Then I installed 2.8.7 manually, followed the instructions, and
> > everything works fine!"
> >
> > gNS 2.2 is based on Ubuntu 8.04, which means that hpilp is going to be
> > 2.8.2.
> >
> > You will need to install a later version of hpilp. Someone could set up
> > packages or a PPA maybe? I'd love to see a gNS PPA/backport repository. We
> > have one for icecat :)
>
> Ideas about how we'd "just" strip out the firmware are welcome. :)
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=451502

hello,

1st The printer works perfectly !
THANKS for all your help !

So at this time the printer's driver is the hplip-3.9.8.run for ubuntu
8.04.

http://pastebin.com/m3c8e8910

The test printer page print perfectly after restart, i hope the package
the install download to make it work are all free !

aurele