Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit

From: Tomek Chrzczonowicz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:43:18 +0200

> Sadly I think the OpenFWWF firmware still has non-free parts (from the
> page you sent a link to):
>
> "To make the firmware work properly you need at least 2 more files
> that
> must be extracted from original Broadcom drivers:"
>
> Until that is fixed I don't see how its much better to recommend
> OpenFWWF.

The newest version is free. I and Alexandre Oliva checked it. Those 2
files are build from commented OpenFWWF sources and no longer require
any files to be extracted from the proprietary driver.

You need linux-libre 2.6.30 to use it, though. It needs to be placed
in /lib/firmware/b43-open and "options b43 qos=0 nohwcrypt=1" be added
to /etc/modprobe.d/options.

That statement at the bottom is confusing, but if you read through all
the news then you see that this dependancy on non-free parts was
dropped.